Enchanting Things To Do In Shimla In Winter
A wonderful abode in the Himalayas, Shimla, the summer capital of the magnificent hill state Himachal Pradesh is surrounded by scenic pine-covered hills and snow-capped peaks. It is one of the most popular destinations in the northern region of India among travelers.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Time To Visit Shimla
- 2 Places To Visit In Shimla To Witness Snowfall
- 3 How To Reach Shimla Conveniently?
- 4 Comfortable And Luxurious Stay In Shimla
- 5 Popular Places To Treat Your Taste Buds In Shimla
- 6 Important Travel Tips For Visiting Shimla In Winters
Best Time To Visit Shimla
The best time to visit Shimla is very subjective as it depends on what kind of trip you want and with whom you are planning to go. The Winter season in Shimla is the best time if you want to see snow and enjoy skiing. Most of the honeymooners visit Shimla in February to spend quality time with each other while witnessing snow. But months from March to June are also best to plan a trip to Shimla with family to escape from the heat in north India. It is advisable to avoid traveling to Shimla during monsoon as the chances of landslides are more from July to September. Therefore, if you are planning a winter trip then Shimla in January is an ideal one. Browse Shimla tour packages at TourTravelWorld and get the ideal one that is convenient for you.
Places To Visit In Shimla To Witness Snowfall
There are various places in Shimla to be visited by tourists throughout the year but here are some amazing places to visit in Shimla in winter which should be included in an ideal Shimla tour package:-
Those people who are wondering if their snow in Shimla now can plan a trip to visit Kufri which is popular for skiing, horse riding, and mesmerizing views. The charm of this place incredibly increases during winters as snowfall pulls most of the crowd of tourists. There are many options for homestays and resorts for travelers who want to spend a night in Kufri.
Located at an elevation of 8100 feet, Narkanda is one of the oldest skiing destinations in India which should be among the top things to do in Shimla in winter. It gives you an unforgettable snow experience which makes it popular for enjoying various sports activities in winter. This hidden treasure is at a distance of 60 km drive from Shimla to make it perfect for a weekend getaway from Delhi and Chandigarh. The view from Narkanda is enchanting to the soul as it receives heavy snowfall in winter.
This place is a 1-hour drive from Shimla passing through the iconic Hindustan Tibet road and witnessing jackals, baboons, and eagles in wildlife sanctuaries. Mashobra is a perfect destination for peace-seeking souls as well as adventure-loving hearts. As it is famous for its forested charm along with activities like paragliding, skiing, trekking, and rappelling. There are options for luxury and budget accommodation in Mashobra which includes resorts, hotels, and homestays.
Your trip is incomplete without visiting Shimla Mall Road in winter. Taking a stroll at Mall Road is popular among romance seekers, shopaholics, and families. This major hangout place is an automotive-free area so mind it, you have to walk down the mall if you want to enjoy its charm. Many famous cafés and restaurants are offering mouth-watering food with a cozy atmosphere. It also has many handicraft shops selling woolen clothes, wooden products, and silver jewelry.
The Ridge is one of the most bustling spots in the city, is an open space located in the heart of Shimla which is considered a playground for cultural activities. Shimla’s ridge is exquisitely charming in its appearance highlighted by a decorated craft market and Neo-Gothic style Christ church. The Ridge in Shimla is a popular destination among the locals as well as tourists. If you want to understand why Shimla is called the Queen of Hills, visiting this spot in the evening will get your answer. During snowfall, tourists visit the ridge to enjoy playing with snow and other activities. Hence, this is one of the most popular places to visit in Shimla in January.
Jakhoo Hill Or Temple
You can hike to reach the jakhoo temple or can take a cab also. This ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Hanuman and is built at the highest point of Shimla and covered with alpine trees offering panoramic views of majestic snow mountains. This 108 feet tall idol of lord hanuman is one of the major tourist attractions in Shimla.
How To Reach Shimla Conveniently?
You can reach Shimla via road by car or bus with a total travel time of 7-8 hours from Delhi taking NH1. You can also take a train from Delhi or Chandigarh to reach Kalka and from there either you can take a toy train or cab to reach Shimla. Also, Chandigarh airport is the nearest to Shimla if someone is traveling from other cities. After that, you can take a bus or can as per your preference. There are plenty of options to reach Shimla, you just have to open Google, and browse TourTravelWorld to research and book your tickets.
Comfortable And Luxurious Stay In Shimla
Choose the best tour operators in Shimla who can give you the best hotel deal and package. Have a soul-satisfying experience of staying in these best properties of Shimla.
This grand heritage hotel is located on the famous Mall Road of Shimla which gives you the perfect blended experience of old-world charm and modern amenities. The colonial-style elegant interior of the spacious rooms with personalized services is the special thing about this hotel.
Tariff: Between INR 6500-11500 per night
The Oberoi Cecil
Located on the quiet side of Mall Road, this is one of the oldest and most elegant 5-star resorts in Shimla because of its signature British colonial architecture. This hotel has now become the first choice of tourists visiting Shimla due to its brilliant indoor décor with an indoor fireplace and lounge. It is perfectly designed to cater to the needs of every guest as this resort offers a variety, from luxurious suites to children\’s recreational areas to attract each genre. A complimentary bottle of wine, a private terrace, and a temperature-controlled indoor pool is the major attraction of this resort.
Tariff: Starting from INR 11,000 per night
Taj Theog Resort & Spa
Taj group of hotels is known for its warm hospitality and if you are planning to visit Shimla then you can’t miss staying here to enjoy the ultra-luxurious experience in the hills. This resort is surrounded by cedar forests and pristine mountains. To plan a blissful getaway from Delhi, book this resort and discover them. It is located at a distance of 28 KMS from Mall Road and spread over 5 acres to offer you every facility in-house from staying to dining to enjoying extra activities. Every corner of this resort is surrounded by the mighty Himalayas to offer you a beautiful view from your private balconies.
Tariff: Starting from 20,000 INR per night
Snow Valley Resorts
This is the perfect family place to stay that offers splendid views, modern facilities, great hospitality, and courteous staff at budget-friendly prices. This beautiful resort is surrounded by spectacular snow-capped mountains to give you a pleasant stay experience.
Tariff: Between INR 4000-10,000 INR per night
Popular Places To Treat Your Taste Buds In Shimla
- Honey Hut: This unique cafe and small bakery was started by a group of entrepreneurs to add a zest of honey to their products like a variety of desserts and bakery items. It is quite popular among the younger generation who are willing to explore new things.
- Wake And Bake Cafe: This cafe is unquestionably the best cafe in Shimla to be visited in winter if you want to sip freshly brewed hot coffee. This two-story eatery is famous for its breakfast delights including South Indian-style pancakes along with some continental dishes. One cannot miss eating at this cafe on the bustling Mall Road.
- Cafe Sol: Specializing in a wide range of cuisines like continental, Chinese, and Italian, cafe Sol is one of the flagship cafes in Shimla for those people who enjoy international cuisine with a well-stocked rooftop bar. Bright interiors, a peppy atmosphere, and a pleasant aura lift up the mood of visitors for a memorable culinary experience. Famous club sandwiches, greek salad, and lemon cheese are the must-have dishes to try on your visit.
- Cafe Shimla Times: Out of all the cafés in Shimla, this place remains outstanding for its creativity, excellent food, good services, and cozy ambiance. This stylish restaurant is named after a famous old newspaper that offers you both indoor and outdoor sitting.
- Eighteen71: A newly opened cafe in Shimla that offers Mughlai as well as a wide variety of Indian food loved by every tourist. Innovative cocktails. This cafe offers you a delightful experience with a cozy atmosphere.
Important Travel Tips For Visiting Shimla In Winters
- Do check for the weather, especially if you’re planning to visit to witness the snowfall.
- You must pack winter clothes to wear in Shimla like warm jackets, shrugs, stoles, caps, and extra warm clothes for small kids.
- You must carry all your essential medicines, especially for those who have motion sickness.
- Don’t miss the chance to ski while you’re there. A little thrill is important to make your holiday more exciting with adventurous activities.
- You must carry a good quality camera with you to capture beautiful moments with your loved ones.
The enchanting beauty of this hill station has attracted countless filmmakers and cinematographers as it still retains its colonial-era charm through its spectacular historical churches and institutes like Christ Church and the Indian Institute of Advanced Study.