ICSI Treatment – Its Procedure and Cost
ICSI stands for Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection, which is a specialised form of in vitro fertilisation (IVF) used to treat male infertility. In standard IVF, eggs are retrieved from the female and mixed with sperm in a laboratory dish, allowing the sperm to fertilise the eggs naturally. However, in cases where the male partner has a low sperm count or poor sperm quality, ICSI may be used to achieve fertilisation. During ICSI, a single sperm is injected directly into the egg using a tiny needle. The sperm is selected and extracted from a semen sample through various procedures. The fertilised egg (embryo) is then transferred to the female’s uterus, where it can hopefully implant and develop into a healthy baby.
Suggest to read:- Failed IVF Cycle? Get A Second Opinion
ICSI is a highly effective treatment for male infertility, and has helped many couples conceive a child who would not have been able to do so otherwise. However, it is also an expensive and complex procedure that should be undertaken only after careful consideration and consultation with a fertility specialist.
The process of ICSI treatment typically involves several steps, including:
- Ovarian stimulation: The female partner is given medication to stimulate the ovaries to produce multiple mature eggs. This is typically done through a combination of injections and oral medications.
- Egg retrieval: Once the eggs are mature, they are retrieved from the ovaries using a needle guided by ultrasound. This is typically done under sedation or anaesthesia.
- Sperm collection: The male partner provides a semen sample, which is prepared in the laboratory to isolate the healthiest and most motile sperm.
- Fertilisation: A single sperm is selected and injected into each mature egg using a tiny needle. The eggs are then monitored to ensure that fertilisation occurs.
- Embryo culture: The fertilised eggs are allowed to develop into embryos in the laboratory for several days.
- Embryo transfer: One or more embryos are transferred into the female’s uterus using a thin catheter. Any remaining embryos may be frozen for future use.
- Pregnancy test: Approximately two weeks after the embryo transfer, a pregnancy test is performed to determine if the procedure was successful.
The ICSI treatment process typically takes several weeks from start to finish, and involves multiple appointments with a fertility specialist. The success rate of ICSI varies depending on a variety of factors, including the age and health of the female partner, the quality of the sperm, and the number and quality of embryos transferred.
ICSI Treatment Cost
The ICSI cost in Bangalore, India can vary depending on several factors such as the clinic/hospital you choose, the expertise of the fertility specialist, the medications and treatments required for ovarian stimulation and other related procedures, as well as the number of cycles required for achieving a successful pregnancy. The cost of a single cycle of ICSI in Bangalore can range from INR 1,00,000 to INR 2,50,000 (approximately USD 1,350 to USD 3,375). This cost usually includes the initial consultations, ultrasound monitoring, egg retrieval, sperm preparation, embryo transfer, and medications required for ovarian stimulation.
However, it is important to note that additional costs may be incurred for pre-ICSI evaluations, genetic testing, embryo freezing, or subsequent cycles if the initial cycle is unsuccessful. It is also important to check with your chosen clinic regarding any hidden costs, payment plans or insurance options. Overall, the cost of ICSI treatment can be a significant financial burden, and it is important to carefully consider all options and consult with a fertility specialist to ensure that this treatment is the best option for your specific fertility needs.
ICSI is a specialised form of in vitro fertilisation used to treat male infertility, in which a single sperm is injected directly into the egg. The cost of a single cycle of ICSI in Bangalore, India can range from INR 1,00,000 to INR 2,50,000 (approximately USD 1,350 to USD 3,375), depending on the clinic and specific treatment plan.